Tuesday, August 7, 2018

I TAKE IT BACK! Canon G7X II is a decent performer!

After bashing the Canon G7Xii on my previous post, i wanna make it clear that, that was my first impression coming from a full frame Sony A7S. Yes, its my fault, i'm to blame but its not like Canon is losing money because of that post.

My eyes are so used to looking at the Sony A7S files, when i looked at the Canon files, my eyes were expecting the same result? which is ridiculous because its comparing oranges and apples, 2 different cameras, 2 different sensors, but for what it is, the Canon is surprisingly good.

I had to take out my old hard drive just to check out my old Sony Rx100iii pics, my brain was telling me that the Sony RX100 took better pictures than the Canon G7Xii in the ONE INCH sensor department...and too my surprised, the image quality was actually quite similar....

So my eyes were wrong, to be fair, its been a while since i last pixel peep a ONE inch sensor JPGs quality.

I had a tendency to pixel peep... it just amuses me.

So for a 1 inch sensor camera, the Canon is just as good as the Sony and also cheaper. if you dont need 4k and need longer reach 100mm at the long end compare to Sony's 70mm, i'd say get the Canon.

But why did i say it's a decent performer?

Its a good camera but the output i'd get is inconsistent. Sometimes its sharp, sometimes the JPEG rendering is mushy. I guess it's the JPEG rendering. The lens is sharp but Sony is sharper. The AF is fast in good light and as usual its slows down a bit in low light. Sometimes the AF is not accurate or should i say the face detection isnt accurate, i lost a few photos just because the faces were blur. The lens is also noisy when its tracking focus....dut dut dut dut dut....i noticed this when i tracked AF using touch.

I havent fully explored this camera i only had it for a week. But after getting used to how a ONE INCH sensor files supposed to looked like, i'm actually quite happy with this Canon. I'm still getting used to the AF accuracy. I'm just not confident of it yet, since i lost lots of pics due to AF inaccuracy. You can say its user error but i try using it as a point n shoot which by right should give me good results just by pressing the shutter button.

Its just the way the camera works kinda baffled me, when i half pressed the shutter, the focus looks like kinda blur on the LCD screen but after i took my shot, the LCD will show me that its sharp, its hard to explain it but yea, just have to get used to it.

You can get decent out of focus background with the ONE INCH sensor.

What i  dont like about this fast lens and sensor, Sony included, is when you take a selfie with a bunch of people, and you're not lined up,  the aperture just stays wide open which makes my face in focus or not in focus....by right they should set the aperture at least f4 i guess or 5.6 so that all the subject are in focus....the camera should be intelligent enough since it detects all the faces in the frame, it should calculate distance and give the appropriate aperture value so that everyone is in focus.

There's not much photos to show yet, i'm just nowadays not keen to post pictures of my kids.... i'll bring it to my Bangkok trip which is next month!

But So far So Good Canon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment